Cycle through the world’s last Utopias
Sikkim is one of the most beautiful & picturesque travel destinations of Indian Himalayas. Surrounded by Nepal, Tibet & Bhutan, it is hailed as one of the world’s last utopias by the legendary guru Padmasambhava. Your views on the trail range from plunging rhododendron clad mountain valleys to Monasteries and the pleasant smiles of its gentle, friendly and cheerful native people. To top it all is the stunning view of the Kangchenjunga, the world’s third highest mountain (8598m) stretched by your side on some days of your ride.
As part of any Unventured tour we have added local experiences like homestay’s, local yummy cuisine. We take the road less travelled to spot exotic Himalayan wildlife, tea tasting sessions at one of the oldest tea estates, and not to forget interactions with locals to better understand their culture through their voices. The picture post-card landscapes and some great climbs and thrilling downhills make the perfect mountain getaway.
Who can do this tour?
The Eastern Himalayan Cycling Expedition is a High intensity tour and ideal for well trained cyclists. The vistas although pristine and the riding distances range between 40-70Km on average, the trail in Sikkim is a mix of climbs, steep descents, combined with narrow roads reaching upto 3500mtrs altitude. Cyclists should be in relatively overall good physical shape with at least a moderate degree of cycling experience and adept at cycling long duration climbs. Being physically fit will of course be a huge asset but as the tour is fully supported the van is always close at hand if needed.
We will climb down and up several valleys as we take the road from gangtok through quaint village roads and countryside making our way up to Darjeeling; the ascents are at some sections steep. Gradients vary between 8-12%.
How is Unventured different from conventional tour operators?
- End-to-End solution: You leave all worries of logistics to us from Bagdogra until you board your flight back home. No exclusions on food, travel or accommodation between Gangtok – Darjeeling. (Liquor & aerated drinks is the only exception)
- Support vehicle all along your ride with a first aid kit
- Knowledgeable tour leaders who not only ride with you but also fill you in on the local culture, natural history and interesting information of the region
- Filtered safe drinking water, we want to go green and hence have opted to stay away from “bottled water”
- Food for most part is local; we will visit local well-recommended/rated restaurants. We want you to experience the local food and enjoy your travel like you would if you were travelling by yourself and would not compromise on that front. Your health and well-being is our prerogative and there will be no compromise on hygiene and quality
- Experienced tour leaders trained and certified in Wilderness First Aid. Safety of all our crew and travellers is our primary concern and we maintain and follow safety measures in planning and execution of the tour